Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer 2009




















So I've begun to compile a short bucket list of things that I would like to do this summer. I'm sure I'll add to it, but to start off...

1. Go to Saratoga to see a horse race.
2. Check out the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown (I've been before to see Nolan Ryan get inducted, but I've never been in the Hall!)
3. LEARN FRENCH (at least conversational)
4. Make a Coldstone ice cream with EVERY flavor of ice cream.
5. Run a half-marathon competitively.
6. Go to a major league baseball game.
7. See Hair on Broadway.
8. Go out to Cape Cod with firecracker.
9. Get a score of 10,000 or higher on Brick Breaker
10. Update this blog AT LEAST once a week.


While I might have already labored many (alright hundreds) of hours attempting to obtain that coveted score of 10,000 in Brick Breaker, I think it's safe to say that #5 on my list, running a half marathon competitively, will require the most time and effort. I've been running on a regular basis now for well over two years, but 13.1 miles is a lot different than my daily 5K. It's going to require me to eat a little healthier (but the fruit gushers are STAYING) and more importantly, run consistently with a structured regimen. If anyone has any advice as to good websites for running training schedules, I'm all ears. I've got a couple, but I'd like to hear from one that has actually worked for someone. As I said, I JUST started this running schedule, but have already begun to plan my runs on days even when I work both jobs, leaving me busy from 8:30AM - 11:00PM. (I'll run up those grueling downtown Albany hills during lunch)

Saturday - 12.6 mi
Sunday - Strength Training
Monday - 7.6 mi and Strength Training

I'll be the first to admit, my runs so far have been too long. Most every training schedule I've seen advises against running the full 13.1 miles before the actual race (the furthest runs that I've seen suggested is a 10 mile run the weekend before the race). I don't know if I completely agree with that, I think it's necessary to get a feel for the length and how your body will respond to it, pace yourself, etc. but I do think that my Saturday run was too long. At this rate, it's easy to peak too early and be stale when I actually run the race later in the summer.

I'll be sure to update my bucket list with additions/hopeful subtractions as I complete my goals. Until then.

Au revoir,
Justin

1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck on completing your bucket list. i really hope you learn some french so that we can speak it together :-)

    ReplyDelete