Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fast Times in Albany, NY

















So today I tried out something that I've wanted to do for awhile: run during my lunch break. There's actually a really nice trail that runs along the Hudson right in the backyard of my office building here in downtown Albany, so I put in a couple miles running along there. There's actually supposed to be a big celebration this weekend recognizing the 400th anniversary of Hudson sailing up this river and "discovering" this area (I use the quotations because Native Americans inhabited this area for hundreds of years prior) and a full-size replica of the original ship that Henry Hudson sailed is going to pass right by my building, I think. You can see the ship and find out more information here: http://www.halfmoon.mus.ny.us/.


Also, I passed by a gathering mass of people rallying on the steps of the Capitol here, protesting the power struggle that is going on here in Albany. It's being reported here: http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/474866/march-on-albany/?RegionCookie=12. I walked by there this morning at 8:30AM and they were already setting up for a rally that was supposed to begin at noon. During my run they were in the midst of a speech and flanked on all sides by police, cameramen, and passersby. Exciting times here in Albany. I just wish that the circumstances weren't so chaotic.
Until next time.
Au revoir,
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment