Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A cold morning in Washington

Standing with the Washington Monument as the view to my south and a large projector serving as the view to my north, surrounded on all sides by thousands of pushing people, a pressure I've come to understand with this morning's metro ride into this cold, yet energized city, I'm beginning to question my doubts I've had about government and politics. I've never met such extremely nice, welcome people from all across the nation whose spirit and drive to seek change isn't dampened by a chilly Inauguration Day. A place like this is the last place you would expect to see a man give up his seat for an elderly woman, yet I saw that very sight this morning.

My day has been an eventful one. Stood in line for two hours at the train station to be packed as tight as sardines for a half hour ride in. We're now standing watching the opening ceremonies and preparing for Obama's speech at around 11:30. We'll then head over to the inauguration parade route on pennsylvania ave and hope to catch a glimpse of that at 2:30. Until then, I'll just try to keep warm and enjoy the main event. Look for a post later.

Au revoir et salut,
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment